- People First NJ
- Family Support Councils
- About Family Support
- Planning Councils
- Family Advisory Council
- Supports Manual
- Youth Leadership
- Partners in PolicyMaking
- Special Projects
- Public Policy
- Publications & Blog
- News & Events
“The New Jersey Council on Developmental Disabilities is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.”
New Jersey Council on Developmental Disabilities Employment Opportunity – Communications Manager
About the New Jersey Council on Developmental Disabilities
The New Jersey Council on Developmental Disabilities (NJCDD) is a publicly funded organization that works to achieve a vision that all individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) deserve the opportunity to set real goals and make their own life choices; and to exercise the same rights, privileges, and responsibilities that any other citizen enjoys.
The Council works toward achieving this vision by fostering dialogue between key public and private agency decision makers and the families and individuals with I/DD who rely on the services these agencies provide. The Council also helps such individuals and families voice their beliefs and make positive changes in their lives, and the lives of others, through various advocacy training programs and community outreach initiatives. Learn more at www.njcdd.org
The NJCDD is seeking a qualified candidate to lead its communications efforts. The Communications Manager will work closely with the Council’s executive board, executive director, staff, and volunteer advocates to disseminate vital information about the NJCDD’s mission, public policy positions, and advocacy efforts to statewide disability stakeholders, legislators, government agencies, and the public.
Under the direction of the executive director, the Communications Manager will act as a technical resource for the full implementation of the services and functions of the New Jersey Council on Developmental Disabilities; participate in subsequent program administration; and other related duties as required.
Responsibilities • Managing Editor of the NJCDD’s print and online publications including a quarterly magazine, regular and ongoing blog, and monthly e-newsletter. Supervise and coordinate contracted writers, graphic designers, photographers, and printers in on-going production schedule. Additionally, recruit and retain membership of an editorial board comprised of developmental disabilities experts and advocates.
• Manage and develop content for the NJCDD’s website (www.njcdd.org), the NJCDD’s social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linked In, Youtube), and Ad Hoc issues-driven webpages.
• Draft and disseminate various outgoing communications materials including eblasts, press releases, op-eds, letters-to-the-editor, public notices, press statements, speeches, annual reports. Also, coordinate with NJCDD staff to write, design, and distribute Council literature and other print and online materials including fact sheets, brochures, posters, postcards.
• Serve as public/media liaison for the NJCDD executive director and leadership. Assist executive director in preparing statements for the press, and facilitate interviews for TV, Radio, and Print/Online publications; providing interview prep, drafting talking points, and conducting background research.
• Cultivate strong relationships with non-profit groups, government agencies & officials, community stakeholders, and the media to achieve outreach goals.
• Collaborate with Council staff and leadership to plan and realize successful events (including awards ceremonies, luncheons, conferences, press events); photograph events for press and web use.
• Develop strategic public relations plans; target demographics; serve as PR consultant for volunteer-led outreach committees
• Oversee and maintain the NJCDD’s mailing list and contacts database
• Manage and oversee all NJCDD communications-related contracts including writers, printers, designers, outside PR firms, photographers, etc.
• Other duties as assigned
• 3 to 5 years’ experience in Communications/Community Outreach for non-profit or public organizations; background in human services, public policy, and/or advocacy strongly desired
• In-depth knowledge of community outreach/public relations trends and best practices, with a demonstrated ability to grow audience interest and engagement
• Impeccable attention to detail in working under simultaneous deadlines; ability to manage short-term objectives and daily operational needs while achieving long-term goals
• Excellent written and oral communications skills required
• Ability to work effectively within a team and on an independent basis
• Working knowledge of Web CMS platforms (WordPress, Joomla) and email marketing tools (Vertical Response, Constant Contact) required
• Experience in planning and implementing social media and web-based public outreach campaigns
• Working knowledge of Photo and Video Editing software (Adobe Creative Suite) strongly desired; Skill in photography, videography, and basic graphic design a plus
• Bachelor’s Degree in Communication or related field preferred
This position is full-time and based out of the NJCDD’s office in Trenton, NJ. Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience
Please send a copy of your resume, cover letter, and two (2) writing samples to:
NJCDD Executive Director
subject line: NJCDD Communications Manager